This replica Outhouse/Privy was built in 2006 to serve as an example of a period outhouse. Like all homes of the time, the woodruff house would have had an outhouse on the property. The original outhouse would not have been this "fancy" and would have been located farther away from the house then the replica is.
The Outhouse as built is a "two seater" having seats for both adults and children. Our replica is, of course, non functional.
Our Trustee, Peter Anderson, son of our late Vice President, Alice Anderson, built this wonderful replica of a two-seater privy in the summer of 2006. Grand opening for the privy took place on June 18, 2006.
Stone walkways lead visitors to the outhouse from both the back of the 1735 section as well as from the driveway right behind the archives.
Inside the Outhouse.
This outhouse was designed as a "two seater" with one seat for an adult and one for a child.
Between the two seats is a replica of a 1910 Sear Catalog. In the past Sears Catalogs were often used not only as handy reading material but as toliet paper.